Arts, Beats, Eats Wraps Up Today

[photogallerylink id=25378 align=left]Thousands of people have turned out for the Ford Arts, Beats & Eats festival that is set up in Royal Oak for the first time this year.

Now in its 13th year, the popular summer festival is drawing Michiganders by the thousands to its new venue, Royal Oak’s trendy downtown. Festival producer Jon Witz said the opening night for the inaugural run had 82,000 attendee.

You can expect to pay $10-$15 for parking and $3 per-person for admission.  Children under 3 get in free.

Event Hours:

Monday September 6th  11 a.m. – 9 p.m.

– MORE LABOR DAY WEEKEND EVENTS –

THE ARTS:  The Art Fair will feature works in Ceramics, Drawing, Leather, Glass, Jewelry, Painting, Photography and more. CLICK HERE for art-fair hours and more details.

THE BEATS:  The festival will host nearly every musical style over the four-day weekend-from country, Caribbean, Celtic, rockabilly, and rhythm & blues to gospel, swing, rock, funk, metal, jazz and reggae.  This year’s performances will include Saving Abel, Candlebox, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Macy Gray, Howling Diablos, Hard Lessons, and the Royal Oak Symphony Orchestra — just to name a few.

On the Kids Stage, audiences will enjoy performances by Rosco the Clown, juggling acts, ventriloquist acts, magic shows and several other kid-focused, audience interactive shows.  CLICK HERE for the complete entertainment lineup.

THE EATS: Fifty-three local restaurants will be showcasing and offering great food and tastes throughout the weekend- including Sanders Candy,  Vince  &Joe’s Gourmet, Tom’s Oyster Bar, 24 Grille, Garden Fresh, The Cutting Board, The Melting Pot, California Pizza Kitchen and a whole lot more. CLICK HERE for a complete listing.

PARKING INFO: Permits will be required for street parking in Royal Oak neighborhoods (violators will be ticketed). Parking meters will also be closed. However, thousands of parking spaces will be open for business.

Parking will be available in downtown Royal Oak lots and structures for $15.  Parking will also be available at near-downtown lots for $15.   A map to Downtown Royal Oak Parking is available at this link.

CLICK HERE for detailed parking information.

For $10, shuttled-parking is available. Shuttle buses will being each day at 10:45am from Hazel Park Racetrack north lot, and Royal Oak High School, and will run until 12:30am on Friday through Sunday and until 10pm on Monday.

SMART offers several bus routes that lead to downtown Royal Oak. More bus info HERE.

Free Bike Parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis on Washington St. Near Second Avenue  and Washington St., just south of Lincoln.

Numerous downtown streets will be closed Wednesday night through the weekend:  Washington will be close between 2nd and Lincoln —  4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Streets will shut down between Lafayette and Main. Center Street will be closed between 5th and 7th.  Main Street and 11 Mile will remain open.

Be sure to stay tuned to WWJ Newsradio 950 all weekend long for the latest festival traffic and parking information.

LATEST FESTIVAL & PARKING NEWS (via Twitter)

View the EVENT MAP

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information, check out the festivals new official website at www.artsbeatseats.com.

– MORE LABOR DAY WEEKEND EVENTS –

(Copyright 2010 by WWJ Radio.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Lynn says:

I think the parking situation is rediculous. So if you just want to go down to RO to eat on Main Street, you will have to pay $15 as well.

1. Steve says:

Quit being so clueless. If you wanted to eat near Comerica Park when a game was going on you’d have to pay more than usual for parking too.

2. Detroiter says:

I’d rather drive all the way to Pontiac & pay the $2 than have to pay the $15 to park at this…are you kidding me? I won’t be able to afford any food after parking, I’m so irritated with this as I’ve already made plans to go & I don’t think I can afford to park my car.

3. Debbie says:

If you take the suttle, is it $10.00 a person or $10.00 a vehicle?? I agree with the parking situation.

4. dan armstead says:

I would like to comment on the Michigan lottery stage. The entertainment was great but the safty of the crown was a problem. The reason I say this is the parking blocks in the middle of the crowd was causing kids elderly, and all people who walked by were trpping and fallling on there faces. I would sugest since all events are based around safty. that the parking blocks be removed, or put plywood ramp covers over the blocks. Thank you..

5. Fred Zendell says:

Great entertainment for the whole family during this recession. Only $15 to park plus $3.00 per person to get in. And then your hit with the inflated ticket prices that must be purchased to buy any eats or put your kids on the rides. Congratulations to the promoters for creating the biggest rip off of the month!

6. Dana says:

My main complaint was just about the general high cost of everything at Arts, Beats, and Eats. We were absolutely shocked at the prices for parking. We could not believe that they charged $15 dollars for parking. At even if you decided to go by shuttle, it was still high at $10 dollars! Besides the parking, the prices for food, drinks, and carnival rides were just much higher than when the festival was in Pontiac. My son wanted to go down the kiddie slide with me (he wasn’t tall enough to go by himself), and it would have been 12 tickets (6 tickets each)! It was just ridiculous. It used to be only 2 tickets per person in Pontiac.

I don’t know why the city of Royal Oak, or whoever it was that ran this, raised the prices so much, especially in these economic times. When I told friends and family about this who were planning on going, they decided not to bother because they didn’t think it was worth it. We didn’t either and won’t be going back next year if it is the same way.

Hope they reconsider the prices for next year’s Arts, Beats, and Eats so people can enjoy it more without feeling ripped off.

7. Kristi says:

We just got back from attending the Arts Beats and Eats in Royal Oak. We chose to park at Royal Oak HS and took the shuttle bus in to the festival. The bus and drivers were great! That is my ONLY positive experience for the entire day. Gate price of $3 each even for children AND the prices of food, drinks, and the ART prices were outrageous. The festival was not organized well and the workers were surly. NOT a family event. The crowds – we could not easily view any of the exhibitioners – God forbid if there was any type of emergency. There is no way the emergency could be dealt with expediently. We have enjoyed this festival for many years but we will NOT be back if this festival is held in Royal Oak. We are very disappointed – if you are choosing whether to go or not to go, please save your money, time, and safety and find something else to do.

8. PG says:

Very disappointed. The parking, admission and food/ride tickets did not reflect the struggling economy. Also, the streets were way too crowded on Sunday afternoon. Could not enjoy any of the crafts or food. Just kept getting knocked around by the crowd. The Pontiac location seemed more condusive to the crowd. Not sure I’ll go back.

9. Kristi says:

Will never attend Again. I posted a longer post to explain but the moderator chose to delete a well informed opinion

1. WWJ Newsroom says:

Hi Kristi. Your comment was not deleted. Comments do not appear right away — they go into a queue to await approval. Usually this happens the same day, but approval was delayed due to the holiday. Thanks.

10. Marv says:

I think it’s sad when a city like Royal Oak uses the whole downtown area as a personal parking lot to generate monies by
    ticketing guest and visitor on Weekend and Holidays.That’s rediculous and unfair. I parked so far away from the event and still recevied a ticket, they won’t see me again …I miss Ponitac already. Why would RO call it Art Beat Eats when all their was very llitte art JUST lot of indiviuals selling parking SPACES.

11. Roger says:

Almost totally disorganized. I had the schedule of events and even at the “information’ tents no one new where things were. Too many people in too small a space, $15 to park, $3 to get in. Give me Pontiac anytime. Our family has gone since it started. As long as AEB stays in Royal Oak, I will never go again. What a bust and a disappointment!

12. tilly says:

I totally agree the event was a major disappointment…to unorganized, crowded,and messy and expensive. Parking was ridiculous,..then entry fee and all the food /drink ticket prices – total rip off. My mother wanted to see Alexander Z. I had to drop her near the entry gate due to her disabilities (and had to leave to park the car) . I did not see helpers/disability people assistance. Tried to find parking but most lots where full so I continued to drive a long way down 4th street to find any spot and run back to be with her asap. Got to the gate and they would not let me in or any others – temporary shut down I was told. What?? I have her inside – can’t get in now?? Finally got someone’s attention and they let me pay to get in to get her. We stayed for Alexander Z performance ..tried to get something to eat but to crowded so she wanted to leave. I trucked all the way back to the car to hurry up and pick her up. Almost fell over when I Ifound the ticket and the details inside. WE are outraged. The entrie thing was a major diappointment and we cannot afford a $50.00 ticket for parking in a spot that had not signs/warnings about tickets. We will fight the ticket and NEVER be back and be sure to share our horrible experience with everyone we know. A sad event for all especially in this economy tha Royal Oak is so gready.

13. Nicole says:

We actually made it down to Royal Oak thinking we could find somewhere reasonable to park, and would walk in (even if it was a long walk). We just couldn’t justify paying $15 to park, in addition to the $3 admission fee. All of the side streets required permit parking. Come on?!! We’ve been to festivals in Ann Arbor, Hamtramck, as well as Pontiac, and have never seen such greed. We left, and the couple who was meeting us there did the same.This state is hurting, and we’re not going to throw money at a city that’s apparently doing very well for itself. I’d go back, but only if it’s somewhere else.