Father, Child Burned In Fire Pit Accident
Visit CBS Detroit's
Two people are hospitalized after an outdoor pit fire burned out of control.
A 40-year-old Lenox Township man and his six-year-old daughter are recovering from burns after police say the man threw an accelerate into the backyard fire Sunday night, sparking a much bigger blaze.
Captain Tony Wickersham of the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office said this incident should serves as a reminder of how dangerous outdoor fires can be.
“If you’re starting a fire, you know, if you just start it with the regular kindling and get it going — eventually it will take of, and you’ll be able to sit around it and enjoy the fire. But, we never recommend adding any accelerate to the fire. That’s a recipe for danger and an accident,” Wikersham said.
Wickersham said the girl, whose clothes had caught fire, was badly burned and was taken to Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit. The father was taken to Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police are still investigating to see if any criminal charges will be filed.
(Copyright 2010 WWJ Radio. All Rights Reserved.)