Filed underDaily J AM
The family of Imam Luqman AmeenAbdullah is considering filing a wrongful death lawsuit after the U.S. Department of Justice review cleared four FBI agents in Abdullah’s shooting death at a raid at a Dearborn warehouse last year.
The son of that Detroit mosque leader said he’s very disappointed with the Justice Department’s report.
Omar Regan called it “incomplete” Thursday, saying he’d hoped a review of his father’s death would show violations by the FBI. Regan said there’s no additional evidence to support the FBI’s claim that his father shot or even possessed a gun.
Staff Attorney of CAIR, Council on American-Islamic Relations, and family attorney Leena Masry said the Justice Department’s findings that cleared those agents are superficial.
“What they told us was there’s no ballistics, there’s no fingerprints, there’s no DNA, there’s no audio, there’s no video, there’s no witness statements. The only witnesses statements were taken from were the four shooters – that was seven months after the shooting,” she said.
Abdullah was shot 20 times last year when agents tried to arrest him on stolen-goods charges. Agents say he was armed and fired his weapon. The Justice Department says there were no civil-rights violations in Abdullah’s death, and Michigan authorities say no state laws were broken.
(Copyright 2010 WWJ Radio. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)