Is Healthcare the Prescription for What Ails Michigan’s Economy?
“The health care industry can be one of the engines for growth in Michigan. More importantly, it can carry us into a future of promise and opportunity.” — A. Alfred Taubman, Chair and Founder of the A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute
Lost your job? Are you wondering where you will find good-paying jobs now and down the road? These are questions more and more people in Michigan are facing every day, but the answers may surprise them and provide some solutions as well.
“Rx for Michigan,” the latest installment in WWJ-TV’s breakthrough “Eye on the Future” series, aired during prime time on Saturday, Feb. 7 at 9 pm and featured exclusive interviews with major leaders and decision-makers who unveil answers. The program also included industry insiders telling viewers how these new lifelines can help them and their families as well as offering behind-the-scenes looks at healthcare facilities in action.
“With so many people out of work and looking for new careers, ‘Rx’ is timely and captured a lot of attention,” said Trey Fabacher, WWJ-TV vice-president and general manager.
“Rx for Michigan” was hosted by Carol Cain, who traveled the state with chief videographer Paul Pytlowany to give viewers a front row seat on how their personal health and collective economic health are joined.
Partial list of Guests in “Rx for Michigan:”
- Gov. Jennifer Granholm
- Robert Ficano — Wayne County Executive
- L. Brooks Patterson – Oakland County Executive
- Rich DeVos
- Richard Blouse – Detroit Regional Chamber
- Doug Rothwell – Renaissance Detroit
- Edith Killins – Director, Wayne County Health & Human Services
- David Van Andel – Van Andel Institute
- Peter Karmanos — Compuware
- A. Alfred Taubman
- Dr. Frank Sottile – Crittenton Hospital Medical Center
- Dr. Eva Feldman – University of Michigan Health System
- Lou Anna K. Simon – Michigan State University
- Mary Sue Coleman – University of Michigan
- Ambassador Pete Secchia
- Brian Peters – Michigan Health & Hospital Assn
- R.C. Ryder — Terumo
- Dr. Robert Kelch – UM Health System
- Jim Dehem- Community Living Services
- Stephen Rapundalo — MichBio
- Al Hoffmann- Delphi Medical
- Ken Matzick – Beaumont
- Patrick Anderson – Anderson Economic
- Nancy Schlichting – Henry Ford Health System
- Phillip Incarnati – McLaren
- Carlos Guiterrez – (former) U.S. Commerce Secretary