CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Dad Of Missing Boys Fights Return To Michigan

View Comments
Grow your business smarter.

Visit CBS Detroit's

Small Business Center.

boys missing poster Dad Of Missing Boys Fights Return To Michigan

The Michigan father charged with the parental kidnapping of his three missing sons is fighting his return to Michigan from a jail in Ohio.

An attorney for 39-year-old John Skelton told a judge in Toledo on Wednesday that his client did not wish to waive extradition to Michigan.

The judge then set bond at $3 million and scheduled another hearing for Dec. 14.skelton john booking pho Dad Of Missing Boys Fights Return To Michigan

Skelton sat throughout the hearing in a wheelchair covered by a green blanket. He answered the judge’s simple yes-or-no questions in a whisper.

Authorities said Skelton had been hospitalized under psychiatric care at a Toledo area hospital. He was arrested Tuesday on three counts of parental kidnapping.

His sons, all under age 10, have been missing since Thanksgiving in Morenci, Mich., 33 miles west of Toledo.

Meantime, the search for the boys may shift from a rescue to a recovery, after authorities warn of a less-than-positive outcome to the case.

If the three boys are to be found, it may depend on what the father ultimately tells police.

Four days of long, hard searching by hundreds of volunteers have turned up no sign of Andrew, Alexander, or Tanner Skelton, missing for nearly a week now.
The pastor of the missing boys’ church, Morenci United Methodist, said the church is open to anyone who needs counseling.

“We have opened our church building, our sanctuary is available and we know that these are difficult times. We know that everyone is being touched by this and the weight is heavy,” said Pastor Donna Galloway.

Galloway says her heart goes out to the Skelton family and the law enforcement officers and volunteers who have been searching diligently for the boys.

Morenci Police Chief Larry Weeks says they do not expect a “positive outcome.” Searchers say they will not give up, as they prepare for a fifth day out in the fields back roads and wooded areas.

For more on this story, click here.

Copyright, 2010. WWJ Newsradio 950, All Rights Reserved.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,927 other followers