DSO Considers Canceling Season
DETROIT (WWJ) - The Detroit Symphony Orchestra could be silenced for the rest of the season, and possibly even into next season, as the musicians’ strike drags on. DSO board members have wrapped up an emergency meeting to decide orchestra’s fate.
The orchestra’s 25-member executive committee has been forced to consider scrapping the rest of the season. However, a member of the DSO’s executive committee says no major decisions have been reached and the group will meet again next week.
Dr. Glenda Price said the committee will hear the latest on contract talks next week before deciding the future of the season.
Wednesday, the group “Save Our Symphony” (SOS) urged people to show up at that meeting to ask the committee to vote against suspending the season.
Standing in a crowd outside Orchestra Hall early Wednesday morning, SOS President Judy Doyle told WWJ’s Vickie Thomas what they hoped to accomplish.
“To encourage them [the DSO board] positively… please don’t cancel the season. Let us help. Get some new voices in the there, some new ideas. Don’t give up,” Doyle said.
The group says that local businesses are hurting because of the strike and is encouraging the community to support area merchants.
Click here to visit the group’s Facebook page.
Click here to visit the group’s web site.
Michigan U.S. Senator Carl Levin, earlier this year, joined with former Governor Jennifer Granholm to offer a $36 million proposal to end the strike.
Levin now says it’s time for the two sides need to settle their differences.
“I think it’s just terrible. I think the two parties really need to understand that the public is counting on them to be reasonable and to compromise — that there are not major differences here,” Levin said.
Levin says harsh words have been said on both sides. Now, he says, they need to get over that and come together so the musicians can get back on the stage and give Detroit the world-class symphony it deserves.