Hamilton Says His Future With Detroit Is Uncertain
MILWAUKEE — Pistons guard Richard Hamilton says Saturday he has no idea why he was inactive for Detroit’s 92-82 win over New Jersey the night before and doesn’t know what to expect next.
Hamilton told the Associated Press that it’s one of the most trying times of his career in a brief conversation before the Pistons played the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday night.
Coach John Kuester said Hamilton would be active against the Bucks.
“I just found out that I was active just now,” Hamilton said walking to the locker room. “Your guess is as good as mine, man.”
Hamilton entered late in the first quarter and made an impact early in the second, hitting a 3-pointer, the 482nd of his career.
Hamilton didn’t directly address whether there had been an event that led to him being inactive even though the Pistons have been shorthanded already because of injuries.
Pistons general manager Joe Dumars declined to comment on Saturday. Kuester previously said it was an internal decision to make Hamilton inactive on Friday night.
Hamilton said he believes he’ll be traded, but his contract may not be easy to move even though he’s averaged 17.7 points per game over his career. Hamilton signed an extension in 2008 for about $34 million over three years that just kicked in this season, but the third year is only partially guaranteed.
“That’s how you see it, that’s how you look at it. It’s like a rollercoaster ride to tell you the truth. You don’t know what to expect,” Hamilton said. “It’s tough, it’s hard. It’s one of those things that you can’t control.”
Hamilton, who turns 33 on Feb. 14, is having the worst season of his 12-year career since he played sparingly as a rookie in Washington. He last played 21½ minutes on Jan. 10 in a loss at Chicago.
Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.