WEATHER ALERT: Frost Advisory In Effect Throughout Much Of Metro Detroit Until 8 A.M Saturday [MORE]

2 Found Dead In Blacked-out Southern Michigan Home

PULASKI TOWNSHIP (WWJ/AP) – Two people found dead in a southern Michigan home are believed to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Jackson County Sheriff Dan Heyns said a generator was being used in the house following recent power outages in the area.  Heyn said 79-year-old Arlene Heath and 80-year-old Walter Wildt were found at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday after a family member called police.

WWJ spoke with Jackson County Captain Steven Rand, who said generator was located in a breezeway of the home.

“I can’t emphasize enough — if you’re going to use a generator, fine. But use it outdoors where there’s proper ventilation, and the same is true of any heat source,” Rand said.

“And, using an unconventional heat source with a stove or something of that nature just is not a good practice,” he said.

Nearly 200,000 CMS Energy Corp. southern Michigan customers were blacked out following a winter storm that hit Sunday and Monday, dumping more than 11 inches of snow in parts of the state.

Rand said the deaths did not appear to be suspicious. Autopsies are pending. An investigation is ongoing.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen