Verizon Wireless said Thursday it had activated three new cell sites in northeast Lower Michigan that improve voice and data coverage in the communities of Afton, Cheboygan and Hammond, as well as along the following major roads:
* US-23 along the Lake Huron coast from Cheboygan to Rogers City;
* M-68 between Indian River and Onaway;
* North Ocqueoc Road, south of US-23 to North Allis Highway;
* Town Hall Road west of Hammond;
* M-33 four miles north of Afton; and
* Afton and Pigeon River roads, west of Afton and south of M-68.
The new cell sites are equipped with a permanent backup generator for times of emergency.
The company’s ongoing network investment in Michigan now totals more than $1.6 billion. Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $60 billion since it was formed — $5.7 billion on average every year — to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services.
In Michigan, Verizon Wireless has more than 2,100 employees and 65 company-owned retail locations in morethan 50 cities.