‘Detroit 187’ Leaves MI Studio, Future Uncertain

HIGHLAND PARK (WWJ) – It could be another signal that the future of ABC’s cop drama “Detroit 187” is in doubt: The network is leaving its studio space in Highland Park.

ABC-TV has said they are not going to make a decision about a second season for the Motown-based show until May.

Jason Richman, executive producer of the show, tells the Detroit News they have not been told about any final decision.

This, plus the uncertainty of the film tax credits in Michigan appear to be the reason behind the closing of their studio in Highland Park.

A source at the stage set said they will begin moving out the equipment and close up shop, primarily because it is a cost-saving move.

Last year the show spent $47.3 million in Michigan, with $19.6 million returned through tax incentives.

The show moved it the studios in Detroit after originally being filmed in Atlanta, Georgia. The first season of “Detroit 187” ended in March.

Comments

1. Janet R. says:

I LOVE Det. 187. Please bring it back. I’m originally from Detroit so I feel like I’m back home. (Moved to Vegas when I early retired 12 yrs ago. Love, love, love the show & now I got my son hooked on it & he wants it back too (he’s married but was working nights, now he’s on days. 2 people here in Vegas want it back, please!

2. Beth says:

Please keep ” Detroit 187″. Excellent show, good acting and a HUGE benefit for Detroit….and all of Michigan.

3. Bonnie S. says:

One of the better shows on TV. Please don”t cancel it, too few quality shows as is.

4. Barbara says:

This is a top quality show. The acting is superb, the writing is top notch. It would be a shame to cancel this show and leave an hour for another “reality” show. Please keep this show on the air.

5. Irma says:

They need to listen to the public. It’s all positive comments. I LOVE the show, I thought it was excellent and got all my friends to watch it. Please DON”T cancel the show. Give it one more shot, and I hope they continue filming in Detriot. . .

6. Jr. says:

My husband and I agree–please bring this show back!

7. Howard says:

This is one of the very best shows on TV! It would be a pity to lose this pithy, honest show. Come on ABC and Michigan, lets work together for the best for all of us.

8. Walt Reed says:

Great show. Very interesting characters, they actually have personalities. Beats the heck out of the CSI garbage in my opinion. Keep it.

9. Brandon P. says:

Please keep it in Michigan… it’s the authenticity of the show. Having a Detroit-based show anywhere outside of Detroit would be the equivalent of a murder. It HAS to be there, it’s the only place where it belongs.

10. Mary says:

Love this show. Please keep on the air……

11. Dave says:

It would be a terrable mistake to take this show off the air. It has become one of of our favorite shows. not a run of the mill cop show. It has something new and special. give it another chance. and try pushing it a little. just don’t change it or the writers. this show is special.

12. Carol says:

It would be such a shame to take a wonderful show like this off the ABC line up.
    Finally a show that has character and wonderful actors that actually make you care about what you are watching and waiting for more.
    I am tired of reality shows and reruns on Cable so please keep this on!!

13. Jan says:

I love this show!!!!! Please don’t take it off the air. If they are trying to make room for another reality show – FORGET IT!!! We don’t need any more of those.

14. JOHN says:

ABC the ALREADY BEEN CANCELED network has been in cancelation mode for a whie now. Starting with AMC, OLTL and probably GH. All these will be replaced by a CHEAPO reality junk show. D 187 and other ABC primetime shows the writing is on the wall so look out..

15. Janet Rossbach says:

I fervently hope that those who make these decisions will take all the above comments to heart and renew Detroit 187. It is quality TV and there isn’t enough of that on commercial television. If it is renewed it will find a larger audience and win Emmys. I have HBO, Showtime, and other premium channels and don’t watch a lot of commercial TV. This show and the AMC dramas are the only dramas with advertising worth watching. Please bring back Detroit 187.

16. Nick says:

How could they cancel one of the few good shows on TV.

17. Dori says:

I thought this was a great show! until they put it opposite my favorite show on Tuesdays…it’s in a bad time slot opposite another great show…duh! why do you think ratings went down…put it in a different time slot! but keep it going. I watched the first couple of episodes before they switched to Tuesdays and was hoping to watch the reruns over the summer that I missed because it was opposite The Good Wife, my other favorite show.

18. paula says:

It’s sick…what a great show lost …the cast was incredible.

19. Gordon D. King says:

Please bring back Detroit 187. It was one of the best shows on TV.

20. Mary says:

Detroit 187 was one of the best shows on television and I am very sorry to see it cancelled. The overall quality of network television is signficantly diminished and is heading toward the lowest common denominator…

21. Deborah says:

The new governor’s administration in Lansing is responsible for stopping tax-breaks for fliming movies and television shows in Michigan. So now they are leaving Michigan. Movies and television shows would have been the best chance for arevival in a city filled with vacany old run down industrial buildings and avenues of urban decay. Who ever owns those old indusctrial buildiings should be responsible for tearing them down and cleaning up their corner of the city.

22. mary says:

I LOVED this show! Can we bring it back? how about a cable channel like they did Southland – which is another one I love. Take it to cable! Are they crazy?

23. Sara62 says:

Love 187 Bring it back ! PLEASE PLEASE
    we always watch It or DVR it !