Detroit (WWJ) – A drive-by shooting Saturday night on Detroit’s west side has left one man dead and five men injured.
An 18-year-old man is dead and five other young men are being treated for gunshot wounds at an area hospital.
Hear the full interview here:
Detroit Police spokeswoman Sgt. Eren Stephens tells WWJ Newsradio 950 that two carloads of young men pulled up to a neighborhood on Savannah and Charleston around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning when someone came out between some homes and started shooting at the vehicles with a high-powered rifle.
Stephens says someone in one of the cars started shooting back.
“It’s a wide open investigation. I spoke to my deputy chief over major crimes and there’s information coming in. But quite frankly, it’s some type of dispute,” Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee told WWJ in a live interview.
“Who was the target of that dispute is one individual but obviously other persons got caught within that cross fire,” he said.
Godbee says they have no leads so far, but he is confident in the major crimes unit.
The investigation is ongoing.
The men shot range in ages 17 to 20.
The name of the young man who died is not being released at this time.