Union: “Detroit 1-8-7″ Leaving Michigan
DETROIT (WWJ) – Is the “Detroit” being taken out of Detroit 1-8-7?
The union representing actors on the ABC TV drama has posted a statement on Facebook saying production of the crime drama will no longer take place in Detroit.
“Another one bites the dust…I just got official word that ‘DETROIT 187′ is leaving Michigan …Sad day indeed!” posted an administrator on AFTRA Detroit’s Facebook page.
Last year the show spent $47.3 million in Michigan, with $19.6 million returned through tax incentives. There has been concern about the future of the show ever since Governor Rick Snyder cut the state’s film tax incentive.
Meantime, ABC is scheduled to release its new TV lineup next month — and it’s still not certain whether the show will be renewed for a second season.
WWJ spoke, Tuesday, with Derek Jennings, the assistant to the Executive Producer of Detroit 1-8-7, who believes the scaling back of tax incentives has made an impact on the show’s future.
“I mean, a selling point of the show was that we could produce a quality show on location for less than you could shoot on any lot in Hollywood. So, I think that was a tremendous blow and has to weigh in in the decision-making process,” Jennings said.
So, what will become of the cast and crew who were relying on the show? Jennings says they haven’t quite given up yet.
“We’re hoping for the best, but you have to kind of plan for the worst… just to kind of keep yourself working and keep yourself going,” he said.
The show moved it studios in Highland Park after originally being filmed in Atlanta, Georgia. The first season ended in March.