DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – The Michigan Department of Natural Resources said the 23 state forest campgrounds that previously were slated for closure will remain open this year.
DNR Director Rodney Stokes confirmed the sites will remain open at a Thursday meeting of the state’s Natural Resources Commission.
Some of the state forest campgrounds will be managed by lease with local units of government.
The campgrounds are in the northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula and aren’t used much compared to some other sites. The forest campgrounds tend to be rustic with pit toilets and no electrical hookups.
The DNR had proposed closing the sites to save money at a time of budget cutbacks.
Mary Dettloff, spokeswoman for the DNR, said the campgrounds were slated to close because they are underperforming and are located close to other campgrounds. (More here)
Efforts to try to prevent the closings started soon afterward.
To find a State Forest campground and to learn more, visit the DNR website.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.