Southfield Woman Bitten By Rabid Groundhog
DETROIT (WWJ) - Michigan’s first-ever case of rabies in a groundhog, also known as a woodchuck, has been discovered in Southfield. Kathy Forzley is a health officer with Oakland County and spoke with WWJ Newsradio:
“A Southfield resident noticed an ill animal in her backyard, a groundhog … actually the homeowner was bit, and was treated for rabies exposure,” said Forzley.
“This is the first groundhog that we are aware of, with rabies, in the state of Michigan … groundhogs in other parts of the country have been noted to have rabies in the past,” said Forzley.
The woman is fine. But Forzley is urging people to stay away from skunks, bats, raccoons and foxes.