DETROIT (AP) – About 2,000 Libyan students who attend U.S. colleges are getting a one-year reprieve in financial support after Libya agreed to resume funding it halted when the U.N. froze about $30 billion of that country’s assets.
The Canadian Bureau for International Education, which administers the funding, announced Wednesday that Libya transferred the money through its central bank to continue the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program. The funding covers tuition and monthly living allowances through May 2012 for the students and their dependents.
Michigan State University’s Peter Briggs said Thursday it’s great news but only “half the battle” at the institution, which has 24 students in the program. The director of the office for international students and scholars says funding for another 19 Libyans in a separate diplomatic training program ended last week.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)