MDOT Halts Work For July 4th Weekend But Some Closures Remain
DETROIT (WWJ) - Although the Michigan Department of Transportation is removing lane restrictions on most state routes this weekend to accommodate the expected Fourth of July holiday traffic, several work zones will remain active or still have some lane restrictions.
Starting on Friday at 3 pm and continuing until 6 am on Tuesday, 89 of 166 projects statewide will be free of lane restrictions.
Officials caution that temporary barriers, machinery and other equipment may be present, so motorists need to pay attention.
As work is halted on some roads, 77 work zones throughout the state will remain active or have some lane restrictions during the Fourth of July weekend.
Following are active work zones in the Metro Detroit Region:
- I-94 left shoulders closed in each direction between 8 Mile and 11 Mile roads.
- I-696 has shoulder closures in both directions between Van Dyke Ave. and Hoover Rd. for ongoing bridge construction.
- The U-turn overpass east of Hoover Rd. over I-696 is closed. The I-696 service drive is reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Van Dyke Ave. is reduced to two northbound lanes and one southbound lane over I-696.
- M-3 southbound bridge over the Clinton River is closed with a posted detour.
- I-275 southbound ramp to northbound I-75 is closed with a detour posted.
- US-24 has one lane open in each direction under I-275.
- Crooks Rd. is reduced to a single lane in each direction over M-59.
- M-5 left lanes closed in each direction between Purdue St. and 8 Mile Rd.
- M-59 has two lanes open in each direction between Crooks and Opdyke roads.
- Eastbound M-59 exit ramp to northbound I-75 closed.
- Westbound M-59 exit ramp to southbound I-75 closed.
- Southbound I-75 exit ramp to westbound M-59 closed.
- US-24 has two northbound lanes closed from 12 Mile to Maple roads for construction. Multiple Michigan left turn lanes are closed.
St. Clair County
- Allen Rd. is closed over I-69; detour posted.
- Water St. entrance ramp to eastbound I-94/I-69 is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94/I-69 eastbound exit to Water St. is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94/I-69 has two lanes open in each direction between the Black River Bridge and Lapeer Rd. with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted.
- Riverside Dr. is closed under I-94/I-69 and detoured.
- I-94 Business Loop is closed in both directions between Ravenswood and M-29 with a detour posted.
- Allen Rd. entrance ramp to southbound I-75 and the northbound I-75 exit ramp to Allen Rd. are both closed and detoured.
City of Detroit
- M-39 is closed in both directions between M-5 and M-10 for reconstruction. Traffic detoured via US-24.
- M-39 is down to one lane in both directions between M-5 and M-153 for ongoing construction.
- I-96 eastbound and westbound ramps to northbound M-39 are closed.
- Local roads closed over M-39 with detours posted include: Puritan Ave., Pembroke Ave., Curtis St., West Chicago Rd., 7 Mile Rd., and Joy Rd.
- M-85 is closed in both directions between Schaefer Rd. and Oakwood Blvd. for ongoing reconstruction. Traffic detoured via I-75.
For roads with holiday lane closures in other parts of the state, click here.
For the latest from the roads, stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 during Traffic and Weather on the 8s, 24-hours a day. Check for recent traffic incidents now by visiting our Traffic Page.