Insurance Tips For Your Summer Vacation

LANSING (WWJ) – With summer in full swing, many Michiganders are headed out for a family vacation. The Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation (OFIR) is providing auto and property insurance tips to consumers before they hit the road for a family trip.

“Before leaving for a summer getaway it’s important for Michigan consumers to know what to do if they’re in an accident or if something happens to their vacation property,” OFIR Commissioner Kevin Clinton said in a statement.

Auto Insurance

Before leaving on vacation, make sure your insurance certificate is in the car. Also double-check that phone numbers for your insurance company and agent are listed on the certificate. If not, make note of these numbers to keep with your ID card.

If you’re in an accident:

• Check for any injuries and administer first aid, if necessary.
• Contact the proper authorities and inform them of any injuries.
• Regardless of the circumstances, report the accident to the police.
• Record the name, address and phone number of the other driver. Always write down the make, model and license plate number of all vehicles involved.
• Collect the names, addresses and phone numbers of all passengers and witnesses.
• Take photos of the accident scene, if possible.
• Ask the investigating officer how to obtain a copy of the police report.
• Notify your insurance agent or company immediately.

Property Insurance 

If you’re renting a property this summer, your homeowners insurance policy might extend to the property where you’ll be staying. Generally, as a renter you are not responsible for damages caused by unavoidable accidents, such as faulty plumbing.

However, there are circumstances where you could be considered partially responsible for damages due to negligence, and you may be expected to pay for them. Personal belongings you take on vacation – such as a laptop, camera or clothing – are generally covered by your primary homeowners policy.

Umbrella policies:

If you have an umbrella policy in place to provide excess liability coverage, the policy should automatically extend to any new property you purchase or rent. To be sure the umbrella meets your liability expectations and that there are no exclusions in the policy that might be triggered by the new property, read your policy before making your down payment.


More From CBS Detroit

Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.
Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!

Watch & Listen