Doctors Link Anger, Crime To Summer Heat

ROYAL OAK (WWJ) – Do you find yourself a little irritated this week? It’s probably the heat.

Beaumont Hospital psychiatrist Dr. William Miles says there’s a lot data showing that the heat makes us angry and irritated, crime and suicides go up, but no one really understands why.

“You know, this is not unique to humans. I have dogs and … when my dogs are hot, they wanna be left alone,” said Miles, in an interview with WWJ’s Sandra McNeil.

“I think one of the reasons that we get more irritable when it gets hot is that we’re just not sleeping as well. I know that’s certainly true for me, personally. I don’t sleep well when it’s hot, even with the air conditioner on,” he said.

Miles said another theory is that heat stimulates a  part of the brain called the hypothalamus, tricking the body.

“The hypothalamus is hyper-sensitive to external stimuli.  We’re going to perceive those stimuli as a threat, when normally we would not perceive such stimuli as a threat,” he said.

“And, the natural response to a perceive threat is anger. We’re hard-wired that way,” Miles said.

Are you more easily angered or annoyed in the heat? Comment below.

More from Sandra McNeill
Comments

1. Ken Pittman says:

Ridiculously lazy investigation on the part of the doctors. This is much more closely linked to a drop in spirituality. As secular progressiveness prevails, crimes, desperation and hopelessness will lead to violence, selfishness and hate. This will fill the void of faith, hope and charity.

2. Fidlin1 says:

If the heat brings on rage and violence then we can credit Willis Carrier for stopping untold wars… he invented the air conditioner.

3. Ello says:

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen – unless you’re a woman…..

4. Haveaniceday says:

I hate Catholic people they are arrogant, self righteous, asssphincters, ok got that off my mind.

5. Mikey says:

Different name, same old spam. Comment Reported.

6. Summer madness says:

Maybe you have thought about how what we take or the type of light bulbs you employ can impact exactly how hot you obtain in the summertime we have ! temperatures obtain steamy yearly …fish finder reviews online

7. what is black currant oil says:

Hiya very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?I am glad to find a lot of helpful info here within the submit, we want develop more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .