Doctors Link Anger, Crime To Summer Heat

ROYAL OAK (WWJ) – Do you find yourself a little irritated this week? It’s probably the heat.

Beaumont Hospital psychiatrist Dr. William Miles says there’s a lot data showing that the heat makes us angry and irritated, crime and suicides go up, but no one really understands why.

“You know, this is not unique to humans. I have dogs and … when my dogs are hot, they wanna be left alone,” said Miles, in an interview with WWJ’s Sandra McNeil.

“I think one of the reasons that we get more irritable when it gets hot is that we’re just not sleeping as well. I know that’s certainly true for me, personally. I don’t sleep well when it’s hot, even with the air conditioner on,” he said.

Miles said another theory is that heat stimulates a  part of the brain called the hypothalamus, tricking the body.

“The hypothalamus is hyper-sensitive to external stimuli.  We’re going to perceive those stimuli as a threat, when normally we would not perceive such stimuli as a threat,” he said.

“And, the natural response to a perceive threat is anger. We’re hard-wired that way,” Miles said.

Are you more easily angered or annoyed in the heat? Comment below.

More from Sandra McNeill

1. lukuj says:

I’m over 60 years old and I clearly remember reading an article almost exactly like this one in the newspaper when I was about 12 years old. It doesn’t take a study to know that people get irritable when it is hot. Just ask the people who have gone days without electricity after a hurricane. They could give you this information for free.

1. Younguy says:

Buzz off you old coot. You make me so angry

1. cricket says:

learn some respect and manners!

2. lukuj says:

My sympathy to your family. You must be an embarrassment, but if they aren’t embarrassed, they should be.

3. Max17 says:

Her comment made you angry? Perhaps you should read comic books instead of news report.

4. Daphni says:

Calm down and go sit in the refrigerator.

5. synctank says:

Either Max Keiser or Stacy Herbert made this comment.

6. regulas says:

He is right you turd, now go play your Xbox and shut up.

7. Finbar says:

Yo, Younguy. I got your old coot right here (grabs crotch).

8. rufus levin says:

black kid younguy has no respect because he is personally worthless and subhuman.

2. Jon Weiss says:

Its just one more article from that new government agency,

“The Department of Redundancy Department.”

2. Flash says:

Wow. Now this is some enlightening information. Nothing gets to the scientific root of summer heat depression like a psychiatrist telling me about his dogs, combined with the assertion by the piece’s writer that “no one really understands why.” Talk about incisive reporting! How about this for a theory? When it’s so fricking hot that it never cools down at night, and even the local swimming pool feels like bathwater, and we’re stuck in our houses for weeks as if it were the middle of winter, we get “cabin fever.” You know, doctor, the “disorder” where we feel trapped. I know my cat really hates being stuck in small log buildings, so I obviously have science on my side.

1. FedUp Florida says:

Yeah, any given pool in Detroit is nothing more than common bathwater. More like toilet water that didn’t get flushed.

3. dareisay says:

Anyone with common sense knows this! Just look at when there is more crime, and MidEastern countries….those people are always up in arms!

1. Lipstick says:

I can believe that. Same old same old to me. Hot in summer and cold in winter. They will never change that.

4. Bruce_Almty says:

Sounds like another Congressional funded study of the totally obvious.

5. Linda says:

Notice they never talk about the high rates of depression and suicide in the constantly overcast/rainy northwest. It’s liberal wonderland so they can’t ever talk about that. I’ve lived there. I know.

6. JeffInOhio says:

But Obummer was nuts before the heat wave, so you can’t use that as an excuse for his stupidity….

1. Dave says:

He’s not stupid. He’s evil.

1. Rick says:

No, he’s stupid too…….he thinks Texas is historically a Republican state……he was going to let the UN security council handle Russia’s invasion of Georgia in 08…….calls the constitustion a “charter of negative liberties”…….need I go on??

2. rufus levin says:

I wish that Obama could see Nigeria from his house.

7. georgechapogas says:

1. Jon Weiss says:

Heat only makes me hot, govenment idoicy and waste such as the entire Odumbo administration makes me angry.

8. James Woods says:

Got some real smart doctors here.

Next they will say having no money leads to being broke.

They should get some kind of award for this find.

9. barf says:

why dont we just say that this heat is obama’s fault. he controls the weather with the CIA, and is doing it to get re-elected. everything that has ever happened in the world for the past 5000 years is obama’s fault.

by the way, happy birthday mr. prez……

1. BOB USMC says:

You are an idiot. Research the HAARP project, then, after you decide the military is also lying to your deaf DUMB and blind arse too, do everyone a favor and leave this world. You won’t be missed. The O will simply replace you with an illegal and use that vote instead of yours. Enjoy the rest of your sorry, oblivious existence. Worth repeating. Idiot.

10. IVillageIdiot says:

Add a dash of ancient mind-numbing religion and it kind of explains the Middle East, doesn’t it…..

11. wolf says:

What is the excuse for people in cold climates going nuts? Just asking.

1. Lipstick says:

Honestly it must be stupid politicians. They drive you crazy not matter the season. Add to that articles to push their idiot agenda’s and some folks just go nuts. They have an excuse for everything now. If people keep on listening to their garbage don’t complain when you are broke and hungry and homeless.

12. Rick says:

If Bush would have just saved the planet, none of this would have happening now…..AlGore, where are you now…… are still my hero!!

1. Max17 says:

algore is either in a mansion using the energy of a small city, or screaming across the skies in a jumbo jet for 1, burning the fuel of any major city he’s flying over. I hope you pick your nose better than you pick your heroes.

1. Rick says:

See comment below, I was just kidding of course, blaming Bush for them before some idiot could get to it…… know they are all thinking it, and you know you know who “they” are…….apparently about a solid 43% of the American population, regardless of the facts……..sad but true……..

13. Rick says:

No…’s really Ice cream use, that’s it. You know, statistics show that as Ice cream use increases, so do drownings and all this hatred and violence… happens pretty much every year about this time for some strange reason!!

14. steve says:

i’m more irritated by the boobs in Washington who keep spending money we don’t have!! I’ll take a heat wave over massive debt anytime!

1. BOB USMC says:

I’ll take massive boobs over a heat wave anytime.

15. cuthean says:

Another summer of recovery courtesy of the communists in mordor by the potomac. Is any country other than the former england, and not in afreeka worse than this dump?

16. Pat says:

I love the heat, wish I was in the Mid-West right now. Playing golf at 90F is something I enjoy. Warm muscles, ball goes further. Having a 7month winter with temps around -22F is what bugs me as does the nutters commenting on here about Obama.

1. Sean says:

Obama is nuttier than Mr. Peanut.

1. Rick says:

Come on Pat……tell me where I’m wrong about The One!

17. Sean says:

Anywhere you find people with no morals then you will find crime. Anywhere you find the family in decline you find crime, serious crime.

18. Timmeh says:

Deal with it. This isn’t the first hot summer and it won’t be the last. If we didn’t raise a bunch of kids expecting to have their hands held every minute of their lives, maybe, just maybe we’d be better off.

19. fred says:

Doctors may link anger to summer heat. But common sense links urban youths to violent mobs.

20. Ruckus says:

Just anyther excuse for anti-social behavior. Sure we are irritable but no excuse to go out and commit a crime, commit suidide.

1. leonard says:

I hope this Shrink is not being paid for this kind of hogwash. If this is true, why is there so much crime in Alaska, Seriously, look at the stats. Why is there more crime in the Northeast than in the southwest. It is hotter in the SW. Crime is about people, not weather. Gurantee this person is a Democrat !

2. FedUp Florida says:

Sorry LaDarius, but the common street nig doesn’t need an excuse to be the animal it is. Get rid of the cancer abolishing slavery gave us and half the problem is solved.

3. Alice says:

How about when the weather is cool and crime still goes on? Weather has nothing to do with crime. It goes on every day, hot, cold, or cool. Keep looking. Maybe you will find out the real answer.

4. vh, says:

I don’t think I’ve even seen summer heat in December …

21. Edward says:

Chification of our culture…

22. John says:

This topic is just another reason for pharms to conjure up another drug. ITS A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

1. us395 says:

This topic is just another reason for government to conjure up another program.

23. Evan says:

Anger, Crime, Suicide: that of course wouldn’t have anything to do to a Obama presidency, would it?

24. Chadman says:

Anger, crime and suicide linked to heat? I don’t think so. Try the poor economy, thanks to Obama.

25. Rick O'Shea says:

Now I understand! Heat was the reason South Carolina fired on the feds and began the civil war.

1. Rick says:

It wasn’t hot back then, don’t you know that…… was all blissful lovely moments, one after another, right up until that stupid George W. Bush came along and destroyed the planet…….you know he hates black people……..I mean really, where have you been??

26. Billy Bob says:

We fired at the feds because we were tired of being dominated by Washington. We are still tired of it Rick. Jim Rogers, the famous and successful investor said it very clearly a few days ago. “Ploiticians–you know they aren’t very smart”

1. Rick says:

I believe it was Milton Friedman who said: “Put the US government in charge of the Sahara desert, and within 5 yrs there will be a shortage of sand”……if he didn’t say it I’ll take credit for it, esplains its pretty well best I can tell

1. Joe Mama says:

It’s so cold and dark in alaska I’m a perrenial perpetrator. If anyone should ask do tell em ta go ta hell and send me back a radiator

27. Desert Fox says:

From my cozy cave in the Ariaona desert mountains on the AZ side of the Mohave Desert, on the Colrado River. I have lived in the heat all my life, temps up to a record of 123 degrees (Wind chill brought it down to 116 degrees.) The people in the small town ,below, never had any problems as mentioned. A few had AC units, but most had Swamp Coolers since there was little humidity. They knew that was what they would have by living there and that was the life they chose. In the past 50 years, I have heard that almost all would have never gone back and done it any differently! I guess we are all just a different breed.

1. Billy Bob says:

Desert Fox. The folks you are talking about have an advantage. Thery are CIVILIZED. These Shrinks are referring to Detroit. ! This city represent worst in America. They have to blame this Cess Pool on something. Sheriff Arpaio from Arazona could straighten that place out in six months.

2. rufus levin says:

now, the swamp cooler won’t run when you are out of WATER.

28. DeusVult says:

This might be an excuse for the muslim manics….its not the so-called (LOL!) religion of peace?!? that makes us maniacs…..its the ALLAH-forsaken HEAT!

29. Jay says:

“Between 1960 and 1966, the highest average annual mean temperature in Dallol, Ethiopia was recorded at 94 °F”
    And they probably didn’t even have AC back then.

Nobody thinks anymore.

30. G. says:

What a waste of a Dr.’s degree, to spend how much time and (probably tapayers money) to report the obvious…what’s ur degree worth now, Doc???Why didn’t you just ask your momma???? She knows; anyone with the gift of observation knows, fool !

31. Dave Shaffer says:

Go work the streets as a cop to see the effects of heat. And you’ll see similar results during winter months…cooped up with the heater going, drinking & playing dominoes or cards…until someone gets cut or shot over a woman, drugs, or money. Fact.

32. Craig says:

And you get paid to write stuff like this? Are there any openings where you work? I know some people at McDonalds looking for easier work.

33. Hot Tamale says:

It’s all part of “pitta” aggravation according to the ancient Indian science of Ayurveda. It absolutely IS true, particularly if you have a predominantly “pitta” (fire) “dosha” (constitution). Here’s what to do about it:

34. Joe Golfendude says:

Welcome to Untied States of Fruits and Nuts. I sleep just fine and keep my thermostat at a cool 65 degrees and can pay the bill .

35. Jim in Sai Gon says:

I think they could have chosen a better photograph than the one they used for this article. I grew up in St. Louis and no man would ever wear a French blue long-sleeved shirt in the month of July! And most likely his wife would be in a short-sleeved blouse…or no blouse at all!

I live in southern Vietnam and it never gets as hot here in Sai Gon as it did back in the Midwest. (Ha Noi is a different story.)

And to Younguy: Take your head meds as your doctor prescribed! Attacking a person for making a simple comment betrays your mental illness.

36. rowley says:

Obama’s dead economy and energy grid killer regulations are to blame.
    The hot weather belongs to Obama.

37. madagain says:

“Dr. William Miles says there’s a lot data showing that the heat makes us angry and irritated…”

Wow! Being hot makes you miserable and irritable….what a news flash!!!!

1. Ruckus says:

I am in the wrong business, This Dr. gets paid Thousands of $ for informing us of the obvious !

38. Hank Warren says:

Heat or Diversity?? Endless diversity, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

39. Cogiito says:

We will do, or say anything in order to keep people free of any personal responsibility for their lives.

That is about 90% of our problems!

A program designed by Leftists to insure people remaing dependent.