ROSEVILLE (WWJ/AP) – Two former funeral directors in Roseville will be sentenced Thursday in Macomb County Circuit Court for bilking pre-paid funeral clients out of their money.
The sentencing was postponed from earlier this summer by the judge so that Mark and Lisa Buehler could make an effort to repay their victims, or make sure they would have their funerals. But some victims, who spoke to the court openly, doubted the Buehlers would be able to do so, given the lack of a mortuary license and debts reported as much as a half-million dollars.
The Buehlers could be sentenced to five years in prison though an attorney in the case says sentencing guidelines are within two years. The couple is charged with spending more than $300,000 given for pre-paid funerals.
Lisa Buehler’s attorney has said he believes the money went into the business, but there are allegations of lavish personal spending. Police seized Lexus and Jaguar cars.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)