Gas Leak Likely Sparked Warren House Explosion

WARREN (WWJ) – A massive home explosion shook a neighborhood in Warren Friday afternoon.

WWJ’s Sandra McNeil reported that, at about 3 p.m., neighbors were stunned to hear the blast at the home on Dodge Street.

Jeff Saxon, who works nearby, said it sounded like something “big and heavy” dropped on his roof.  He came by to survey the damage.

“The walls are blown off of it. The roof looks like putty. The ceiling for the porch is flipped over towards the street,” he said. “It doesn’t look burned, it just looks blown apart.”

No one was home at the time of the blast. The renters’ two dogs escaped with only minor burn injuries.

Consumers Energy spokeswoman Debra Dodd said a gas leak is suspected. She said her crews were arriving at the address just as the explosion occurred.

She’s just thankful that someone called them.

“Whoever had called in the gas leak, the potential gas leak, did the right thing,” said Dodd. “We’re always trying to educate customers about, you know, if you think you smell gas, call us right away and we’ll respond.”

Consumers and the fire marshal are investigating.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Christmas Light Displays
Best Holiday Drink Ideas

Watch & Listen