TAYLOR (WWJ) – If you live in Wayne County and have any unwanted household chemicals you want to throw away, but aren’t sure how to do so properly, then you’re in luck. Wayne County’s Department of Public Services has scheduled a countywide Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection for Saturday, August 27 at Southland Shopping Center parking lot.
The collection is designed to accept unwanted household chemicals for proper disposal.
Items that will be accepted include:
- Household paints
- Floor-care items
- Furniture polish
- Bathroom cleaners
- Lawn and garden chemicals
- Fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Old computers and TVs
- Pharmaceutical waste (non-controlled substances only)
- Medical sharps in puncture-proof containers
Items that are not accepted include:
- Commercial, industrial waste
- Ammunition and explosives
- 55-gallon drums
- Radioactive materials
- Unknown, unlabeled waste
- Shock sensitive materials
- Household trash
All waste must be from residential sources. The HHW collection runs from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and is open to Wayne County residents only. The Southland Shopping Center is located at 3000 Eureka Road in Taylor.
For more information, please contact Wayne County’s Resource Recovery Coordinator at 734-326-3936.