People Mover Fare Hike Considered
DETROIT (WWJ) – With a cutback in city subsidies, the People Mover could raise its fares for the first time since it began moving people in 1987.
Detroiters speaking to WWJ Newsradio 950 want to see fares stay at 50 cents.
Anita Harris rides the People Mover only twice a month, but even then is against any rate increase.
“Fifty cents is too much,” said Harris. “In some places, the people movers are free. They only have a couple of free days that you can ride it.”
“Cobo’s got a stop and Joe Louis has got a stop, why not have them each subsidize it?” asked another woman.
“I don’t think it’s right to raise the rate,” said a rider. “If it costs far too much to run this for the money they’re bringing it, they should just shut it down.”
While the People Mover is used heavily during ballgames, festivals and evenings, there were only five riders on the loop Wednesday morning, which prompted an observation from one first-time visitor to the city: “Would it not be counter-productive to raise something that’s being under-used now?”
Last year, just $900,000 of the People Mover’s $10.7 million in revenue came from rider fares.