DETROIT (WWJ) – Join members of the Law Enforcement Torch Run for any of two dozen community runs and a 750-mile, 5-day relay run Sept. 10-17. The week will be filled with walk, run and roll activities raising funds and awareness for Special Olympics Michigan athletes.
The most well known event of the week is Central Route, a 750-mile, 5-day non-stop relay run September 12-16 that starts in Copper Harbor in the Tip of the Upper Peninsula and ends at the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge in Sterling Heights.
Central Route consists of three teams: Fraternal Order of Police, Michigan Department of Corrections and Michigan State Police. Each team is made up of about six runners, who take turns running five miles at a time, at an average of eight minutes per mile.
Zachary Brubaker from Lake Orion has been chosen to run the prestigious 5-mile Mackinac Bridge leg during Central Route on September 14 alongside one officer from each of the three Central Route teams.
“Zach lives the Special Olympics Oath on and off the field,” said Ed, Zach’s father. “He loves to win but he also really enjoys the camaraderie of the other athletes. Zach competes with a great deal of enthusiasm and always has a contagious smile on his face.”
The public is welcome to participate at many of the Community Runs that will take place around the state. It is just $25 to participate in a community run.
Community Runs are scheduled for:
Saturday, September 10
- Allegan: Begins at 8 a.m. at Allegan Sports Complex
- Benton Harbor: Begins at 8:30 a.m. at Lake Michigan College
Monday, September 12
- Battle Creek: Begins at 8 a.m. at Emmett Twp Public Safety
Tuesday, September 13
- Traverse City: Begins at 10 a.m. at the parking lot of US 31 and Cass Ave.
- Petoskey: Begins at 2 p.m. at the MSP Post
- Marquette: Begins at 8 a.m. along the Central Route
- Newberry: Begins at 10:32 p.m. along the Central Route
Wednesday, September 14
- Alpena: Begins at 10 a.m. at Duck Park
- Rudyard: Begins at 9:35 a.m. along the Central Route
- Tawas: Begins at noon at the Iosco County Sheriff’s Office
- Roscommon: Begins at 3:30 p.m. at Roscommon High School
- West Branch:Begins at 6 p.m. at the M-55/M-30 intersection
- Cheboygan: Begins at 5:11 p.m. along the Central Route
Thursday, September 15
- Jackson: Begins at 11 a.m. at Lyle Torrent School
- Mt. Pleasant: Begins at 2:35 p.m. at the old MSP Post
- Big Rapids: Begins at 9:30 a.m. along the Central Route
- Shiawassee County: Begins at 11 a.m. at Corunna
- Midland: Begins at 1 p.m. at the Midland Law Enforcement Center
- Lansing Midnight Run: Begins at 11:30 p.m. at the Michigan/Capitol intersection
Friday, September 16
- Pontiac: Begins at 7:45 a.m. at the Pontiac Police Department
- South Lyon: Begins at 9 a.m. at the South Lyon Police Department
- Port Huron: Begins at noon at the Port Huron Police Department
- Coldwater: Begins at 10 a.m. at the West Side Shell
Saturday, September 17
- Ionia: Begins at 8 a.m. at Ionia Fair Grounds
For more information, visit www.somi.org.