YPSILANTI (WWJ) – The Washtenaw County Solid Waste Program and local units of government will be sponsoring an environmental Clean-Up Day for Washtenaw County residents.
The Clean-Up Day will take place on Saturday, October 8, 2011, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Eastern Michigan University’s Rynearson Football Stadium, located at 799 N. Hewitt Rd. in Ypsilanti. The event is free, but there is a suggested $10 donation per car to help decrease disposal costs and to help maintain this community collection.
This event provides an opportunity for residents to dispose of many unwanted household items in a safe and sustainable manner. Numerous household materials can be brought to this event, including:
- Traditional recyclable materials (plastics, glass, tin, cardboard, paper)
- Scrap metal
- Freon appliances (air conditioners, refrigerators, etc.)
- Household hazardous wastes (cleaning supplies, motor oil, mercury, oil based paints, etc.)
- Yard waste
- Electronic equipment (computers, televisions, toasters, etc.)
- Sharps (diabetic needles, etc.)
Residents may bring up to four tires for free, but a donation of $5 will be requested for each additional tire. Residents may also bring one television, Freon containing appliance, or computer, but a donation of $10 will be requested for each additional item.
No household garbage will be accepted at this collection event.
All Washtenaw County residents are welcome and encouraged to attend. The collection is intended for residential use only – no businesses.
For more information, visit recycle.ewashtenaw.org.