CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Firefighters Control Blaze At Senior Citizen Complex

View Comments
WWJ Photo/Bill Szumanski

WWJ Photo/Bill Szumanski

mikecampbell Mike Campbell
I’m what they call an anchor-reporter at WWJ. If it were up to me my...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
senior apartments fire 12 Firefighters Control Blaze At Senior Citizen Complex
(WWJ Photo/Mike Campbell)

HAZEL PARK (WWJ) - At least one unit of a senior citizen complex has been damaged by fire Friday morning.

Hazel Park firefighters were called to the American House complex on Woodward Heights between John R and Dequindre around 7:45 a.m. Friday.

 - VIEW PHOTO GALLERY -

WWJ’s Mike Campbell spoke with the Chief Operating Officer of American House in Michigan, who said the fire broke out in one of the complex’s 140 units.

Investigators think the fire started in the bedroom on a third-floor unit. The resident who lives in that unit has been taken to Beaumont Hospital for precautionary reasons.

American House CEO Rob Gillette said, in a statement, that employees followed evacuation protocol and were able to quickly move residents and staff to a safe location.

He said no one was hurt as a result of the fire, but one resident was sent to the hospital for anxiety.

Another resident who was evacuated from the complex was also taken to the hospital.

“She was already evacuated and taken up to Royal Oak Beaumont because she’s experiencing angina right now and they had to administer a little bit of medication to her,” said the resident’s granddaughter, Rachel Kenure.

Hazel Park Fire Chief Ray DeWalt said at this time, they aren’t sure what sparked the blaze. Gillette said the cause of the fire is believed to be resident error.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus