Reporting Gary Lundy
For more trusted health
news and information,
visit CBS Detroit's
DETROIT (WWJ) – It’s odorless, colorless, and tasteless, and it kills more than 500 Americans every year.
The Michigan Department of Community Health wants you to know just how dangerous that carbon monoxide poisoning can be.
Here in Michigan, up to 50 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s produced by all forms of combustion but its completely preventable.
Health officials say you should never use generators, barbecue grills, camping stoves or other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, or garage … or near an open window.
More than 60% of carbon monoxide deaths happen during the winter months, and they usually happen at home.