WATCH CBS NEWS VIDEO: DNC NEWS AND ANALYSIS LIVE COVERAGE

Millions Awarded In Death Of Man Who Choked On Meatball

WARREN (WWJ) –A jury in Macomb County awarded over $2 million to the estate of a man who died at a nursing home in Warren. WWJ’s Rob Sanford reports the 56-year-old man choked to death on a golf ball-sized meatball.

The jury decided that Sava Senior Care was negligent in the 2008 death of Walter Polomski, a resident at Nightingale Nursing Center.

Polomski, who’s confined to a wheelchair, died after a meatball he was eating went down the wrong way and cut off his windpipe. His family said he shouldn’t have even been eating meatballs because he had swallowing problems.

Polomski’s family accused the nursing home of waiting too long to call 911 — saying Polomski was choking for about 12 minutes before the call was made. When EMS arrived, paramedics removed the meatball with forceps, but the plaintiffs say it was already too late. Polomski died at the hospital.

The family also alleged the nursing home was understaffed and inadequately trained.

The defense said his death was an “unpreventable accident.”

The $2.35 million settlement is expected to benefit Polomski’s family, including his two children and grandchild.

Comments

More From CBS Detroit

Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.
Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!

Watch & Listen