CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Forecast: Perfect Weather For America’s Thanksgiving Parade

View Comments
(Credit: Flickr/Amanda Stroyer)

(Credit: Flickr/Amanda Stroyer)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DETROIT (WWJ) - For many, Wednesday marks the beginning of a long Thanksgiving weekend. On top of the big turkey dinner, watching the Lions vs Packers game and planning Black Friday strategies, thousands of people nationwide anticipate looking toward Detroit for the America’s Thanksgiving Parade.

The parade will kick-off on the corner of Woodward and Mack on Thursday, Nov. 24 at 9:05 a.m., and as WWJ’s Dean Devore reports, the weather should be perfect.

If you’re heading out to the parade, WWJ-TV Chief Meteorologist Jim Madaus says it’ll be chilly, but not as bad as years past.  Madaus reminisced on past parades, “I can remember many thanksgiving mornings waking up to lots of snow, and other years freezing in bitter cold temperatures.  This year it will be a different and a pleasant story.”

Don’t put that coat away just yet! Madaus continued, “Although it will be cold at parade time with readings somewhere in the upper 30s, you will still have to bundle up and dress in layers to stay warm.  The rest of the day will be breezy and mild with readings in the mid 50s which is about 5 to 6 degrees above normal for this time of the year.”

“That’s mild and I like it!” noted Madaus.

detroit7day Forecast: Perfect Weather For Americas Thanksgiving Parade

That sunny weather will carry into Friday but might start to fade a bit on Saturday when showers move into the Metro Detroit area. The rain is expected to hang around with spotty showers on Sunday.  The sun will perk back up just in time for the work week to begin on Monday.

Here’s the forecast from the WWJ Weather Team:

Wednesday - Clearing. Highs 48 to 52. North winds 5 to 15 mph…turning to northwest. Clear overnight. Lows 30 to 34. Light and variable winds.

Thanksgiving Day – Sunny. Highs 52 to 56. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Clear overnight. Lows 40 to 44. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Friday – Mostly sunny. Highs 57 to 61. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Partly cloudy overnight. Lows 45 to 49.

Saturday – Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers. Highs 53 to 57. Chance of rain 40 percent. Overnight showers likely. Lows 42 to 46. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Sunday – Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers. Highs 48 to 52. Chance of rain 50 percent. Chance of rain showers overnight. Lows 34 to 38. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Read more, here.

**Sign up for severe weather text alerts: Text STORM to 95001. For a daily forecast text message each morning: Text FORECAST to 95001.**

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus