Police Say Disgruntled Neighbor Fed Dog Needles
FRENCHTOWN TWP. (WWJ/AP) – Michigan State Police say a dog had to be euthanized after swallowing needles authorities suspect were placed inside some meat by a neighbor. The dog’s owner told police on Monday that his 8-year-old Labrador retriever vomited 20 needles.
State Police Trooper Michael Petersen said the dog was put down after a veterinarian found needles embedded in the animal’s stomach and intestines.
Peterson said the neighbor told police he put the needles inside the meat to prevent the dog from coming onto his property in Monroe County’s Frenchtown Township, south of Detroit. The man previously had complained to the dog’s owner about the issue.
Peterson said the neighbor claims he didn’t realize the dog would swallow the meat.
The neighbor could face charges of killing or torturing an animal, a felony.
“It’s just a tragic story and people get kinda worked up with their neighbors,” Peterson told WWJ Newsradio 950. “I think people should just try to relax a little bit. This is obviously extreme and it’s unfortunate that it happened.”
The county prosecutor’s office is reviewing the case.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)