Detroit Police, Volunteers Continue Search For Missing Toddler
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – As dozens of volunteers canvass the streets of Detroit, the father of a missing 2-year-old girl said he’s been getting death threats. D’Andre Lane spoke with reporters on Tuesday.
Bianca Jones disappeared last week after Lane claimed she was taken during a carjacking and a reward fund for Bianca’s safe return now stands at more than $22,000.
Investigators are now checking the validity of Lane’s story. He’s obtained an attorney who denies reports Lane has stopped cooperating with police.
Lane said he can “feel” Bianca and believes she’s alive and “wants to come home.” He said he doesn’t hurt his children.
Lane, who was jailed in Oakland County in an unrelated case but released Monday, told a local TV station that he doesn’t care about all the police scrutiny on himself. He said the return of his daughter is “all that matters.”
Bianca’s mother, Banika, said she’s grateful for the show of love and support to bring her daughter home.
“I can’t say thank you enough and how grateful I am to all of these people that are volunteering and helping and looking for my baby and praying for me and I can feel that, and I wanna say thank you so much,” Jones said. “And please continue to keep searching for Bianca. We love her; we want her home.”
Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com for the latest.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)