Father Of Missing Toddler Makes Emotional Plea
DETROIT (CBS Detroit) - The father of Bianca Jones said the last week has been nearly unbearable as his toddler remains missing and public speculation turns to him.
With his attorney at his side, D’Andre Lane made an emotional plea live on WWJ Newsradio 950 and on Charlie Langton’s morning show on Talk 1270, saying that despite some media reports, he has cooperated with police.
“I don’t know how to deal with this thing. I’m the person people go to when they have a problem. I’ve never been in a situation where I felt like this and it’s hard to even grasp the emotion. I don’t even know where I am anymore,” Lane said.
Lane said his daughter Bianca, 2, was sitting in the backseat of his car when he was carjacked last Friday in Detroit. Lane is under “intense scrutiny,” according to Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee, and his attorney Terry Johnson admitted he failed a lie detector test.
“I am cooperating with the police in every aspect of their investigation …I have nothing to hide,” Lane told Langton.
Lane said his sole focus is on the safe return of little Bianca.
“I just want people to keep on searching. If you have any information, just get that information to the police. Just please, do not stop. I want my daughter brought back home safely. That is all of our main concern, just please, please don’t stop looking,” Lane said, holding back tears.
Listen to his entire interview:
Lane is asking citizens of Detroit and beyond to be on the lookout for anyone who they think might even look like his daughter.
“If you anybody that didn’t have a 2-year-old with them last week and they have one now, or they’re saying that might be a family member from out-of-town, or anything like that even resembles my daughter, just please speak up,” Lane said.
“If you see someone taken into a hotel with a little girl or someone trying to hide the fact that they have a little girl with them, just please let that information get out,” he continued.
Lane said he wants people to focus on finding his daughter, and not the negative things that are being said about him.
“Because of the negative things that are being put out there, it’s not in the best interest for me to be out there (searching). I don’t want people to be looking at me as the bad guy or villan in this situation, just look for my baby.”
Lane said he is trying to stay strong for his daughter and just hopes that she is safe.
“Nothing compares to the feeling of being violated and having a part of you snatched away from you. Every day is hard, and every day that passes is even harder. You know, watching other things that are going on in the world. I mean, I don’t know what is wrong with people, I don’t understand it,” Lane said.
Police recovered Lane’s car shortly after he reported the carjacking, but the little girl was not inside.
Hundreds of volunteers have been working with investigators to search abandoned houses and building that would otherwise would be unsafe for untrained searchers.
Bianca was allegedly abducted by a 25-30 year old black male, 6 foot tall, 190 pounds, with some facial hair and a medium skin tone. He was last seen wearing a brown and black baseball style cap, black coat and dark pants. A hand gun was seen by a witness.
More than $22,000 is in a reward fund for information leading to Bianca’s safe return. Billboards are up along the freeways and volunteers have been passing out fliers all over Metro Detroit.
Anyone with information on the alleged victim, abductor or vehicle, is asked to immediately call 911, the Detroit Police Department at 313-596-2260 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.