Fire Guts Lansing Nonprofit’s Office, Store

LANSING (AP) – Lansing officials are working with St. Vincent de Paul after a weekend fire gutted the charitable organization’s local thrift store and office.

The Lansing State Journal reports Monday that the Sunday morning blaze destroyed the building’s contents, including furniture and household goods for those in need.

Authorities believe the fire in the city’s REO Town district was accidental and started in a room used to store and refinish furniture.

Lansing’s director of human relations and community services says the fire comes at a difficult time with the upcoming holidays. Joan Jackson Johnson says St. Vincent provides emergency assistance faster than any nonprofit in the area.

Officials are looking for space in city-owned buildings for a temporary office, store and warehouse.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen