New Year, New Friends: Guide To A More Social 2012
DETROIT (WWJ) – ‘Tis the season to make New Year’s resolutions. Sure, losing weight, quitting smoking, drinking less, saving money and spending more time with family tends to be among the top resolutions. But so is making new friends.
This New Year’s Eve, as we take time to look back at the past year and gaze forward to the coming year, Blendr – an app that fosters social connections with those nearby who share similar interests – suggests the following ideas to put your 2012 social life into high gear:
1. Volunteer – Two birds, one stone. Volunteering is often a resolution in and of itself, and the desire to help others is surely an attractive quality. Help mend the social fabric of society by donating time and energy to better your local community. At the same time, meet a person or two who share your same passion for making a difference.
2. Take a class – Cooking. Language. Photography. Dance. Take on a new hobby or become proficient in an existing one. Find time in your busy schedule to enroll in a class that suits your interest and you’ll very likely find potential friends among your classmates.
3. Join a sports team – There are sure to be co-ed recreational leagues in your neck of the woods that are looking for another player. From flag football to dodge ball, such leagues are designed to offer a healthy dose of friendly competition. Some even come with pre- or post-game socializing.
4. Get a dog – From the dog park to the neighborhood pet supply store, dog people tend to instantly connect. Find out how simple it is to bond with others over conversations on dog breeds, dog training, dog health, doggy day cares…the topics are endless! And, who knows, maybe you’ll find a new dog walking partner.
5. Smile – A simple smile can be so powerful. Not only does it improve your image, but it creates a powerful energy from within that truly resonates with others. People are more likely to find you approachable and, therefore, receptive to friendship. Besides, it’s infectious.