Detroit (WWJ)- Organizers of the North American International Auto Show say Saturday’s opening day attendance was the best in five years.
There were 92,106 people at the show at Cobo Center in downtown Detroit Saturday topping last year’s attendance by more than 5,400.
“We are absolutely thrilled at today’s turnout,” said Bill Perkins, chairman, 2012 NAIAS, in a statement. “The week just keeps getting better and better, and we’re so pleased to share all the excitement with so many people and families who joined us for opening day.”
Perkins said he’s never seen so many digital cameras.
New this year is a main floor Luxury Car Parade that is led around the inner circle of the show floor by two police motorcycles. Vehicles included an Aston Martin, Bentley and Chevrolet Corvette. Several characters from The Parade Company also were featured. The parade will be repeated Sunday, Monday and Tuesday; and Thursday – Sunday, at 3:30 and 7:00 pm.
The auto show runs through Sunday, January 22nd.
Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for seniors and children aged 7-12. Kids 6 years old and under are free when accompanied by a parent or guardian.