CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Homeowners Urged To Keep Furnace Vents, Meters Free Of Snow And Ice

View Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DETROIT (WWJ) - With winter finally sweeping into Metro Detroit, bringing along cold weather and snow, Consumers Energy is reminding homeowners to keep safety in mind by making sure their natural gas meters and gas appliance (furnace or water heater) fresh air intakes and exhaust pipes are free of snow and ice.

When snow is allowed to build up around these areas it can become compacted and freeze. This can cause damage that interferes with proper operation of the natural gas meter and gas appliances. Customers are advised to carefully remove snow by hand and not use a shovel or power snow removal equipment around these areas.

While most gas appliance fresh air intake and exhaust pipes are generally located on the sides of buildings, in manufactured or mobile homes they are most often located on the roof. Customers should use caution if they need to inspect these rooftop pipes.

Garrick Rochow, vice president of energy delivery for the utility, said not only can snow and ice cause furnaces and appliances such as water heaters to stop operating, it can also cause potentially life-threatening carbon monoxide poisoning to develop.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless and can be produced when appliances aren’t operating or venting properly. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning often mimic the flu and include headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, and stinging or burning of the eyes.

If any of these symptoms are experienced, or if you have an audible carbon monoxide detector and it alarms, leave the building or area and contact Consumers Energy, your local natural gas provider or 911.

The best defense against carbon monoxide poisoning is to install an audible alarm that will sound if dangerous levels of carbon monoxide are present.

To help ensure the safety of meter readers, customers are also asked to keep their sidewalks, stairways and gate areas free of snow and ice buildup. A clear path to the meter and a meter that is clearly visible without a build-up of snow and ice will help make meters easier to read and reduce the need for estimating energy use.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,913 other followers