Detroit City Council To Discuss Host Of Budget Cuts
DETROIT (WWJ) – Detroit City Council is expected to debate more budget cuts Tuesday, as the city tries to avoid what some say is inevitable: a state-appointed emergency financial manager.
WWJ’s Vickie Thomas reports council members are calling for an additional 1,300 layoffs, saying Mayor Dave Bing’s plan to pink slip 1,000 workers isn’t enough.
The council is also considering eliminating subsidies to cultural institutions, increasing the bus and people mover fares, resurrecting a garbage collection fee, closing all recreation centers and a host of other ideas. Also on the table is a 15 percent cut to the salary of any city employee who makes over $100,000.
State treasurer Andy Dillon previously said if Bing wants to fend off a state-appointed financial manager, he needs to submit a financial plan to the state by the first week of February.
Bing said the city won’t run out of cash by April as previously predicted, but the city does have a $45 million budget shortfall.
The state review group, appointed by Gov. Rick Snyder, and includes a former Supreme Court justice, former college presidents and a former Detroit police chief.
A deficit elimination plan is expected to be presented on Wednesday.
Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com for continuing coverage.