DETROIT (WWJ) – Careless smoking is being blamed for a Wednesday morning fire at an apartment building on Detroit’s northwest side.

WWJ’s Florence Walton reports firefighters were able to contain the flames from spreading to other units at the Park Plaza Apartments on 7 Mile Road, east of Telegraph.

Firefighter Anthony Watts said one resident was taken to the hospital.

“When we got here, we found a semi-conscious male in the apartment building and we were able to get him out in time, he’s recovering now. It was just a small fire, seemed like it might have been just a careless smoker,” said Watts.

People living in two adjacent apartments were briefly evacuated.

The building manager is praising the fire department, and is thankful no one was seriously injured.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Cooking Classes In DetroitLearn how to whip up some wonderful dishes while having fun!
5 Bucket List Items To Cross Off In DetroitThe “must-do” items for anyone making a trip to Detroit.

Watch & Listen LIVE