Archbishop To Discuss Parish Closing Plan
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – The leader of 1.3 million Roman Catholics in southeast Michigan says he’ll announce Monday the results of a review of a proposal to merge or close dozens of parishes in the face of population shifts within the Archdiocese of Detroit.
The archdiocese said Thursday that Archbishop Allen Vigneron will talk Monday afternoon about the plans for the realignment of the 267 parishes.
On Dec. 1, Vigneron said the archdiocese would review a plan to close nine parishes and merge 60 others into 21.
These reorganization recommendations were drafted by a panel of non-clergy who looked closely at each parish — things like membership, baptisms and funerals. Another close look, according to Archbishop Allen Vigneron, was taken at finances.
Aome of Metro Detroit’s most prominent churches have been recommended for closure over the next five years. (Get more details on the proposal here).
The archdiocese said Vigneron completed the plan earlier this month, and its results were mailed out this week to priests and lay members.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)