LANSING (WWJ/AP) – Michigan health officials have issued a public health alert after a recent outbreak of E. coli was confirmed.
The state departments of Community Health and Agriculture and Rural Development said Friday two cases of sickness caused by E. coli and been confirmed, and they suspect five others.
The MDCH said those who were sickened ate raw clover sprouts at sandwich shops in mid-Michigan and southeast Michigan. The illness onset dates range from Feb. 6 to Feb. 12. Those affected range in age from 19 to 50.
As a result, the MDCH said it’s recommending that people avoid consumption of raw clover sprouts until more information about the origin of the contaminated sprouts is available.
The state Department of Community Health is working with local health departments as well as state and federal agencies to determine the source of the sprouts.
Symptoms of E. coli infection may include abdominal cramps and diarrhea which is often bloody. Most infected people recover within a week; however, some may develop complications that require hospitalization.
Young children and the elderly are at highest risk for a potentially life-threatening complication known as hemolytic uremic syndrome, which includes kidney failure.
Anyone who has recently eaten raw sprouts and is experiencing symptoms should contact their healthcare provider and their local health department.
TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.