DETROIT (WWJ) – Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy says 2-year-old Bianca Jones of Detroit is dead, and her father D’Andre Lane is guilty of abusing and murdering her late last year.
In an exclusive interview with WWJ Newsradio 950’s Roberta Jasina prior to Tuesday’s news conference, Worthy said she believes Lane, 32, acted alone in the brutal murder of his little girl.
Lane claimed that the child was abducted during a carjacking in Detroit December 2.
Worthy says after an extensive investigation, the prosecutor’s office has determined that there was never any carjacking.
Worthy said, “This child, unfortunately is not alive and hasn’t been alive for quite awhile and Mr. Lane is responsible. We have charged D’andre Lane with one count of first degree felony murder and one count of child abuse in the first degree.”
If convicted, Lane faces mandatory life in prison with no chance of parole. Lane is expected to be arraigned Thursday at 1 p.m. in 36th District Court in Detroit.
Worthy said one of the reasons it’s taken so long to bring charges is because the child’s body has not been found.
“Whenever you have a case that the evidence shows is a homicide and there is no body, it takes a lot longer to put together. We’re confident we can prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Worthy said there is evidence that the child was abused the day she died, and that it is her father who killed her.
Worthy would not elaborate on that evidence.
She would not comment when asked if there was a confession in the case. She said there is no evidence to support sexual abuse.
Worthy told WWJ she is confident Lane will be found guilty of abusing and murdering his daughter.
“I don’t charge cases unless I feel we can prove them beyond a reasonable doubt,” she said.
Meantime, Lane’s lawyer is insisting his client had no role in the girl’s death and will fight the charges. Terry Johnson said he was surprised by the charges and he is eager to see what “smoking gun” evidence they might have.