DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – Ingham County Circuit Judge William Collette has issued an injunction to keep the state from moving forward on the consent agreement for Detroit until a hearing next Thursday.
Collette said a state-appointed review team and Treasurer Andy Dillon shall not execute or sign a consent agreement or its equivalent with the city of Detroit until Collette makes further orders.
“I think it’s a good thing that the court is actually going through the process of determining the legality of the consent agreement,” said Detroit City Councilwoman Saunteel Jenkins.
Collette set a new hearing date of March 29. A meeting was previously scheduled for Thursday.
The new hearing date is after the March 26 deadline that Gov. Rick Snyder set for the financial review team to report to him. The review team could reach a consent agreement with Detroit or recommend an emergency manager financially battered city that faces a nearly $200 million deficit.
Meantime, Detroit leaders expect to complete a final draft of a counter-proposal to the state’s consent agreement this week.
Mayor Dave Bing’s plan is now in the hands of the Detroit City Council. He says the proposal will provide “a reliable roadmap” to shore up the city’s budget problems. Gov. Snyder has said he’s open to negotiating further with Detroit leaders about how best to restore the city’s financial solvency.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)