DETROIT (CBS Detroit) Whether you have plans to attend a church service, have a big dinner with family and friends or lay low this Sunday — Easter celebrations are different for everyone.
But there’s a way to unite for a common cause and make sure others, many of them facing adversity, have the kind of day they deserve. Hundreds of additional Detroit Area Agency on Aging Detroit Meals on Wheels-Holiday Meals on Wheels program volunteer drivers are needed to individually deliver fresh-cooked, hot nutritious meals to 5,800 homebound seniors in metro Detroit.
This year’s theme is “Support a Senior on Easter because Hunger Takes No Holiday” and the delivery is sponsored by the Detroit Area Agency on Aging staff.
But how to get involved? After meals are packed on Easter Sunday, April 8, 2012, they are delivered to 11 partnering sites where volunteer drivers pick-up the meals for door-to-door delivery of individual hot meals start at 8:30 a.m. Routing and contact information is provided for each meal.
The DAAA Holiday Meals on Wheels Easter Sunday delivery distribution sites are:
- Greater Emmanuel COGIC, 19190 Schaefer Hwy, Detroit
- Detroit Association of Women’s Clubs, 5461 Brush Street, Detroit
- Franklin Wright Settlements, 3360 Charlevoix, Detroit
- Church of the Madonna, 1125 Oakman Blvd., Detroit
- Christ Church, 960 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit
- Alpha Phi Alpha /Optimists, 9840 Dexter, Detroit
- New Light Baptist Church, 5240 W. Chicago Blvd., Detroit
- The Matrix Center, 13560 E. McNichols Road, Detroit
To volunteer for delivering meals, call 313-446-4444, ext. 5804