Michigan Person Among Pet Owners Getting Sick From Recalled Pet Food
DETROIT (WWJ) – Federal health officials say at least 14 people in nine states including Michigan have been infected with salmonella from tainted dog food.
The food came from the Diamond Pet Foods’ Plant in South Carolina which was shut down on April 7.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says no deaths have been reported, but at least five people have been hospitalized.
Paul Chittick is a doctor of infectious diseases, at Beaumont Hospital. He has a warning for parents of small children, regarding salmonella:
“The CDC is recommending, for now that children do not have any contact with dog food,” said Chittick.
Dr. Chittick says humans can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food.
“The majority of people who get infected with it, while they may get sick, probably don’t get sick enough to seek care.”
The CDC says people can get salmonella by handling infected dog food and not washing their hands after.
Diamond Pet Foods paid a $3 million settlement after a toxic mold in its pet food killed dozens of dogs in 2005.