Family Dog Rescued From Canton House Fire
CANTON (WWJ) - A dog rescued from a burning home in Canton is expected to be OK.
Canton fire officials said one was in the house at the time of the fire except for the a yellow Labrador named Skylar, who was found unresponsive. Firefighters carried her out and worked on her with a special oxygen mask designed specifically for dogs.
After about 20 minutes the young dog regained conscious and started breathing better.
The masks were donated to the department a few years ago by a concerned citizen.
Fire Chief Timothy Dunn said he believes this was the first time the mask was used. He said the firefighters were pleased.
“They were very pleased. I mean, obviously anytime that you can save a human, or a pet for that matter, it’s outstanding to know that that’s what we do,” Dunn said.
Skylar is expected to make a full recovery.
From there, the pooch was taken to the Oakland Veterinary Referral Services in Bloomfield Hills.
“She had evidence of corneal burns, thermal burns to her corneas, also to her nasal passages,” said Dr. Judi Fleischaker. “She was coughing up soot when she came in and she was having some respiratory distress. We put her in an oxygen cage. She definitely was showing some signs of carbon monoxide poisoning as well.”
Fleischaker said the dog was in stable condition Monday afternoon. He is expected to make a full recovery.