For more trusted health
news and information,
visit CBS Detroit's
LIVONIA (WWJ) - A Central Michigan University student, who was home in Livonia on summer break, has been diagnosed as possibly having bacterial meningitis.
According to reports, the school was notified by the Wayne County Health Department. Official test results are due back within five days.
The student, identified as Nicholas Collins, moved out of his room at Trout Hall on campus late last week. Students and faculty have been notified of the student’s sickness via email. Collins is being treated at St. Mary’s hospital in Livonia.
Health officials say Bacterial meningitis, while rare in comparison to viral meningitis, is by far the most dangerous and is sometimes fatal.
They say who may have come into contact with Collins between April 30 and May 7 could be at risk of coming down with the infection. Those individuals are urged to contact their doctor and CMU Health Services at 989-774-6577.