Teacher Sick-out Closes DPS Schools -- Check The Updated CLOSINGS LIST| FULL STORY|  

Fire Breaks Out At Popular Troy Restaurant

TROY, Mich. (WWJ) – An early morning fire devastated a popular restaurant in Troy: the Kona Grill.

The call about the two-alarm fire went out just before 4 a.m. Monday, directing firefighters to the Kona Grill, a high-profile eatery along E. Big Beaver at Livernois.

WWJ’s Ron Dewey reports from the scene that firefighters were able to knock the fire down in quick order. Dewey told WWJ’s Greg Bowman and Roberta Jasina it looked like the damage was limited to the inside, the extent of which is not known at this time. However, it is known the fire originated in the restaurant’s attic area. As of 5:30 a.m., ladder trucks were still dumping water on top of the roof. The fire was above any sprinkler suppression coverage, and that’s where Fire Lt. Connie Perry said there was the most damage.

“There was fire through the roof at one point,” Perry said. “It was knocked down fairly quickly and right now, they’re just trying to get in there and get hot spots and make sure that the fire is completely out.”

The Grill was closed at the time, so there’s no word on anyone being inside at the time of the fire. Also, no word of any injuries. Investigators are looking at a fireplace inside the restaurant as the possible cause of the fire.

More from Ron Dewey
Comments

More From CBS Detroit

Daily J
Valenti and Foster

Watch & Listen