Oxford High School’s Web Site Design Team Places 7th in the Nation
OXFORD — Oxford’s Business Professionals of America chapter sealed a top 10 spot at the BPA 2012 National Leadership Conference, “Reach New Heights,” in Chicago, April 25-29.
The Web Site Design Team placed 7th in the nation.
Team members Jon Doslak, Harrison Moore, Garrison Sedam, and Colleen Walters, joined more than 5,000 participants from more than 20 different states attending the conference. Michigan had the most number of national competitive event award winners than any other state at the conference. “This win represents innovative thinking, defined teamwork skills and solid knowledge of Web Design principles and practices,” said advisor Maria Wolbert.
The Web Site Design team was assigned the “Get Your Community Moving” topic, inspired by Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move initiative. The site covers current health issues facing kids, actions to promote healthy living, and resources to nutrition and exercise information.
The competition required the students to:
* Apply technical skills in Web site design and utilize standards-based, validated HTML and CSS coding
* Demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills needed to function in a business setting
* Demonstrate knowledge of site, content, graphics, layout, browser capabilities, accessibility concerns, and target audience
* Demonstrate knowledge of navigational schemes
* Demonstrate problem solving and oral presentation skills
Sixty percent of the students’ scores were based upon the site’s technical design elements and coding and 40 percent toward their team presentation skills. With a mere three years under its belt, Oxford’s BPA Chapter is leaving a mark at the regional, state and national levels.