19-Year Old Student From CMU Dies, Bacterial Meningitis Suspected

LIVONIA (WWJ ) – A Central Michigan University student from Livonia, home on summer break, diagnosed as possibly having bacterial meningitis … has died.

Representatives of St. Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia say that the 19-year old student died Thursday evening. Beyond that, they are not able to share any other details; like time of death and exact cause, due to confidentiality issues.

It is suspected that Nicholas Collins had contracted bacterial meningitis, but test results are ongoing.

Still, as a precaution, several Central Michigan University students have been treated with antibiotics because of the suspected case of bacterial meningitis, which can be life threatening, but is only contagious with direct contact.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen