Get In The Game: Wendy’s High School Heisman Awards, Scholarships
DETROIT (WWJ) - Wendy’s restaurants are now accepting applications for their annual High School Heisman Award, a program honoring outstanding student-athletes for their commitment to academic achievement, community service involvement and athletic prowess.
More than just a shining star on a college resume, the Heisman mystique touches students at every level of the program.
In addition to recognition at school and state levels, six female and six male national finalists will receive an all-expense paid trip to New York City to attend the Wendy’s High School Heisman Awards Ceremony and college Heisman Memorial Trophy Award presentation with their families in December 2012.
Beginning now through October 2, eligible students can apply at www.wendysheisman.com for a chance to win the award and the prestige of joining an ever-growing family of distinguished past winners.
A partner award with college football’s acclaimed Heisman Memorial Trophy, Wendy’s High School Heisman has received more than 350,000 applications and honored more than 216 National Finalists and 36 National Winners since its inception.
High school students that will graduate in 2013 are eligible to apply until October 2 if they meet the following requirements:
- Have a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of a B (3.0) or better
- Be a leader in school and in the community and serve as a role model for underclassmen
- Participate in at least one of the following 27 eligible school-sponsored sports:
Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Canoeing, Competitive Spirit/Cheerleading, Competitive Weight Lifting, Crew, Cross Country, Equestrian, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Judo, Lacrosse, Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming y Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo and Wrestling
Each year, nearly 50,000 young male and female scholar-athletes from across the country who embody leadership, academic excellence and athletic skill in their schools and volunteerism in their communities apply for the Wendy’s High School Heisman Award. These applicants are then narrowed down in four phases:
1. School Winners Phase – One senior male and one senior female from every school will be selected as a “School Winner”
2. State Finalists Phase – 20 finalists—10 senior males and 10 senior females—from every state and the District of Columbia will advance to “State Finalists”
3. State Winners Phase – One senior male and one senior female from each state and the District of Columbia will be selected as “State Winners”
4. National Finalist Phase – A judging panel will select “12 National Finalists” from the 102 State Winners
The one male and one female Wendy’s High School Heisman Award winners will earn $10,000 for their high school and a $500 Wendy’s gift card. They will also be highlighted during ESPN’s live national broadcast of the college Heisman Memorial Trophy Ceremony in early December 2012.
For more information, visit www.wendysheisman.com.